Ginataang Mais is a sweet Filipino Rice Pudding made with simple ingredients, glutinous rice, sweet corn kernels and coconut milk. It's very easy to make with only 4 ingredients needed! Enjoy this bowl of Ginataang Mais at anytime of the day.
Ginataang Mais recipe is a comforting and sweet Filipino dish that showcases the delightful combination of corn and coconut milk. If you are looking for a quick filipino easy dessert or sweet snack recipe, this is a must try!
What is Ginataan na Mais mean
GInataan na Mais is a Filipino rice pudding made with glutinous rice or sticky rice, corn kernels and coconut milk. It's mainly known as lugaw na mais.
This coconut rice pudding is very popular midday snack in the Philippines. You will also find them in the street and a lot of vendor's selling them.
It is a comfort food that is enjoyed by many filipinos. And it is one of my favourite Filipino desserts.
- Ginataang Mais with Sago (Tapioca Pearls)
- Ginataang Mais with Langka (Jackfruit)
- Ginataang Bilo Bilo
Here are the ingredients you need to make this Filipino sweet corn dessert:
- Glutinous rice: Sweet sticky rice or malagkit. It is one of the main ingredient.
- Whole Kernel Corn: Fresh corn or canned corn works great. If using fresh corn, make sure to remove the kernels from the cob. Creamed corn style is also added in the recipe for a creamy texture.
- Coconut milk: This recipe uses canned coconut milk. You can also use extracted fresh coconut milk. Make sure you don't use coconut cream as they have different texture.
- Sugar: About ½ cup sugar white or brown sugar works fine. Adjust the amount based on your desired level of sweetness.
Step 1. Combine coconut milk and glutinous rice in a saucepan and bring it to boil in a medium heat for about 10 minutes.
Cook in a low heat for another 10-12 minutes until rice is cooked through.
Step 2. Stir in corn, cream style corn and sugar, mix until well combined. Continue cooking for another 7-8 minutes.
Step 3. Remove from the heat, serve and enjoy!
Storing & Reheating
To store, transfer to airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
To reheat on the stovetop over low to medium heat. Stir continuously to prevent the coconut milk from curdling. Add a bit of water or coconut milk if the mixture has thickened too much.
To reheat on microwave, heat in short intervals, stirring in between, until it reaches the desired temperature.
Certainly! You can use frozen corn by thawing it, draining excess water, and incorporating it into the recipe.
Freezing may alter the texture of the coconut milk. Allow the dish to cool completely before transferring it to a freezer-safe container. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat gently when ready to consume.
Quick filipino dessert recipe
Ginataang Mais (Sweet Rice and Corn Pudding)
- 2 cans 13.5-oz coconut milk
- ½ cup sticky rice (washed and drained)
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- ½ cup sugar (adjust according to sweetness preference)
- 1 cup cream style corn optional
- Combine coconut milk and glutinous rice in a saucepan and bring it to boil in a medium heat for about 10 minutes. Lower the heat and cook for another 10-12 minutes until rice is cooked through.
- Stir in corn and cream style corn and sugar, mix until well combined. Continue cooking for another 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, serve warm and enjoy!
- I added cream style corn to the recipe for creamier texture. If you decide to add them you can adjust the sugar to ⅓ cup.