These classic Ube Crinkles are very popular dessert or snack in the Philippines. Made with ube or purple yam jam and rolled in powdered sugar, they're the perfect sweet treat.
WHAT DOES UBE MEAN?
Ube or pronounced OO-beh is known as a purple yam often used for dessert in the Philippines. Ube has origins in Southeast Asia, but it is commonly use in Filipino Cuisine. It has a vibrant and beautiful purple colour that makes the dessert more appealing. It has a nutty flavour and is kind of similar to a sweet potato. But purple!
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- recipes and instructions are easy to follow.
- moist and delicious.
- soft textures, crisp edges.
- for ube lover's, this one is definitely the best.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR UBE CRINKLES
- Flour: all purpose flour is what I use for making them.
- Sugar: white sugar works best.
- Confectioner's Sugar: for rolling the cookie dough. Must have!
- Ube Jam: we are using the Buenas purple yam jam. You can find them in any asian store. You can also make your own ube jam using the purple yam but I never made one.
- Egg: large egg, beaten.
- Food Colour: purple/violet colour to archived the ube or purple yam colour.
- Vanilla Extract and Ube Extract: we are using vanilla extract and ube extract. You can find ube extract at asian store. Try using vanilla extract alone if no ube available.
- Oil: vegetable oil, unsalted butter or canola oil is totally fine.
- Salt: pinch of salt to balance the sweetness of ube.
Step 1: Whisk together your dry ingredients. Flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Step 2. Combine your wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk ube jam, vanilla and ube extract, egg, oil and food colouring.
Step 3: Prep your dough and Chill. Gradually add flour dry ingredients over wet ingredients and mix everything together until evenly distributed. You can use electric mixer or spatula. Cover with plastic wrapper and chill for at least two hours or until completley chilled.
Step 4: Prep your dough balls. Form the dough into 1 inch balls, and roll them in confectioner's sugar until completely coated. Place them on a parchment covered baking sheet.
Step 5: Bake. Bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 10-12 minutes. Allow them to cool for a minute or two on the sheets before transferring to a plate. And that's it, we made some delicious Ube Crinkles.
Did you make this Ube Crinkles today? I'd love to hear in the comment section below. Or let's get social! Follow and tag me on Facebook and Instagram.
Looking for other crinkles recipe?
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup ube jam
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large egg beaten
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon ube extract
- ½ cup vegetable oil or canola oil
- drop violet/purple food color
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cup powdered or confectioner's sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, add ube jam, vanilla and ube extract, egg, oil and violet food color. Mix everything together until evenly distributed.
- Gradually add the flour mixture over the ube jam mixture. Using a spatula or electric mixer combine everything until you achieved a modelling clay texture.
- Cover with plastic wrapper and chill for 2 hours or overnight. Chilling is necessary, don't skip this step.
- Scoop about 1 or 1.5 tablespoon then form a ball shaped using hand. Roll the ball into powdered or confectioner's sugar.
- Bake on a preheated oven 350F for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool for 2 minutes before transferring to plate.
These are so good, I might have eaten at least 10 lol Simple with only a few ingredients yummm Ube crinkles are my new favourite