This Homemade Ube Halaya Jam (Purple Yam Jam) is delicious and perfect for a sweet treat. This can be eaten with bread or by itself.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- better than buying in the store.
- easy to make!
- perfect for adding to Ube dessert recipes.
- very versatile, you can eat it with bread or by itself.
What is Ube?
Ube or pronounced as OOH-beh is known as a purple yam often used for dessert in the Philippines. Ube has origins in Southeast Asia, but it is commonly used in Filipino Cuisine. It has a vibrant and beautiful purple colour that makes the dessert more appealing. It has a nutty flavour and is kind of similar to a sweet potato. But purple!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR UBE HALAYA JAM
- purple yam or ube: you can find them in a grocery store or grated purple yam will work fine. For grated purple yam, you can find them mostly at asian store. Usually you will find them frozen. Make sure to thaw them before cooking.
- condensed and evaporated milk: must haves!
- sugar: granulated white sugar.
- salt: to balance the sweetness.
- butter: we are using unsalted butter.
Step 1: Boiling Process.
Start with washing the Ube. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook ube or purple yam for 30 to 40 minutes or until tender in the middle. Drain, cool and peel the skin.
Cut them into cubes. Mash them using a masher or a fork.
Step 2: Cooking Process.
In a large wok, heat some butter. Add evaporated milk, sugar and condensed milk. Mix the liquid until sugar is dissolved. Add mashed purple yam and stir everything together.
Simmer the ube mixture for 20-30 minutes.Add pinch of salt to balance the sweetness. You”ll want to stir the mixture frequently to prevent them from sticking to the wok.
Transfer to a Jar and let it cool completely. Cover and refrigerate.
Did you make this Ube Halaya Jam today? I’d love to hear in the comment section below. Or let’s get social! Follow and tag me on Facebook and Instagram.
Make sure to try this Ube Crinkles dessert!
Ube Halaya Jam (Purple Yam Jam)
- 1 pound purple yam
- 1 can evaporated milk
- ½ cup condensed milk
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- pinch of salt
- Start with washing the Ube. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook ube or purple yam for 30 to 40 minutes or until tender in the middle.
- Once they are cooked through, let it cool down and peel the skin.
- Cut them into cubes.
- Mashed them using a masher or a fork. Set it aside!
- In a large wok, heat some butter. Add evaporated milk, sugar and condensed milk. Stir until sugar is dissolved and liquid has thickened.
- Add mashed purple yam and mix.
- Add pinch of salt to balance the sweetness. Simmer the ube mixture for 20-30 minutes.
- Stir the mixture frequently to prevent them from sticking to the wok.
- Transfer to a Jar and let it cool completely. Cover and refrigerate.
Leave a Reply