This simple and tasty Chicken Arroz Caldo is so easy to prepare. It makes a delicious breakfast, lunch or anytime of the day.
It's April here in Vancouver Island but it is still snowing, so it's about time to bust out some cozy soup recipes. This is not exactly a soup but it's something I eat a lot especially during cold and rainy days.
What is Arroz Caldo?
Arroz Caldo is also known as a Filipino rice porridge/congee and is topped with crispy garlic, green onions. eggs and lime. Filipinos always cooked Arroz Caldo with their favourite meat like this "Chicken Arroz Caldo" with added chicken, Pork Arroz Caldo or even Vegetarian Arroz Caldo. You can also check this Oats Arroz Caldo where I used Oats instead of rice.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- easy stove top arroz caldo recipe.
- easy to follow step-by-step instructions with photo provided.
- you can use left over rice for this recipe.
- easy to customize by adding chicken thighs or drumstick.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR CHICKEN ARROZ CALDO
- rice: we are using glutinous rice or sticky rice. Long grain or jasmine rice will work just fine for this recipe. To cut down on cooking time, left over rice or cooked rice can be used but just adjust the broth.
- chicken: we are using boneless chicken breast. You can also use boneless thighs or drumsticks.
- soy sauce and fish sauce: this adds more flavour. Don't skip!
- ginger: this is the major component in making chicken arroz caldo. This is a must please don't substitute it with dried ginger.
- garlic: lots of garlic. Top arroz caldo with crispy garlic for more garlicky flavour.
- toppings: green onions and eggs.
Step 1: In over medium heat pot, heat oil. Sautè onion, garlic, ginger and white parts of green onion. Add chicken breast cook and stir together.
Step 2: Add rinsed glutinous rice and mix everything together.
Step 3: Add 6 - 7 cups of water. Stir in soy sauce and fish sauce. Bring the mixture to boil for 10-15 minutes or until rice is cooked. Stir occasionally to avoid rice sticking in the bottom of the pot.
Once cooked, top with crispy garlic, green onions and egg. Served and Enjoy!
Chicken Arroz Caldo
- 2 pounds chicken breast cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup glutinous rice
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 thumb sized ginger peeled and julienned
- ¼ cup green onions (white parts for cooking and green for toppings) chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- hard bolled egg toppings
- 6-7 cups water
- ¼ cup green onions chopped
- ¼ cup garlic
- 3 pieces hard boiled eggs peeled and halved
- In over medium heat pot, heat oil. Sautè onion for a minute until translucent. Add garlic, ginger and white parts of the green onions. Stir for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes. Stirring occasionally and season with salt and pepper.
- Add rinsed glutinous rice and stir for 2 minutes until rice starts to change into brown.
- Stir in soy sauce and fish sauce.
- Cover and bring it boil for 10-15 minutes or until rice has softened and thickened to desired consistency. Stir occasionally to avoid rice sticking in the bottom of the pot.
- Top with crispy garlic, green onions and hard boiled eggs. Squeeze some lime or lemon for extra flavour. Serve and enjoy!
Crispy Garlic for Toppings
- In a small pan over low heat, heat oil. Add minced garlic and cook until golden brown or crispy. Once cooked, remove garlic and drain excess oil using paper towel.