This healthy and creamy Kalabasa soup or also known as squash soup is perfect for rainy days. It's hearty and delicious to make you feel warm and cozy.
What is Kalabasa?
Kalabasa (Calabaza) is a generic name of Spanish language for any type of pumpkin or squash. Kalabasa (Squash) is a staple vegetable In the Philippines used in any variety of dishes like Pinakbet, Ginataang Kalabasa with Green Beans and more.
Why You'll love this recipe
- packed with nutritional value.
- perfect soup for cold and rainy days.
- easy to make with only six ingredients.
- perfect as a side dish or main dish.
This Kalabasa soup is very easy to make. I kept the ingredients list simple so the kalabasa (squash) flavour shines through. You'll only need six ingredients to make this creamy soup, kalabasa (squash), garlic, onion, olive oil, coconut milk, salt and pepper.
We are using butternut squash for this recipe. However you can try different type of squash like kabocha, acorn or pumpkin.
Buttery and Creamy
By adding butter and coconut milk it makes the soup extra creamy. I used unsalted butter for this recipe. This is a little secret I discovered in preparing this dish.
I started roasting the kalabasa by placing on the roasting pan. I just love how smooth and tender the squash is.
Don't skip this step when making this soup. Once the kalabasa is out from the oven, you can start sautéing garlic and onion right away. But if you don't have oven, you can also just sautè kalabasa with the garlic and onion.
- Squash: we are using butternut squash for this recipe.
- Coconut Milk: can coconut milk works great.
- Onion: red, white or yellow onion works just fine.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Garlic: we need about 4 cloves.
How to make Kalabas Soup
A Step-by-Step Instructions with Pictures is also included with this recipe below:
Step 1: Roast the Squash - Pre-heat oven in 350 F, then place the kalabasa (squash) in the oven tray. Drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Step 2: Purèe or Blend Kalabasa - Once cooked, blend or purèe kalabasa and water using a food processor or blender.
Step 3: Sautè - In a large pot, sautè onion and garlic. Add pureed squash and coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Top with cilantro or green onions.
- You can serve It with bread or tortillas.
- This dish can be serve with rice as well.
What to make next
Kalabasa Soup (Squash Soup)
- 1 large butternut squash peeled, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil drizzled
- 1 tablespoon butter for cooking
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can pure coconut milk
- 3½ cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven 350 degree. Place the squash on a roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until tender.
- Once cooked, place kalabasa on a food processor and add 3 ½ cup water. Purèe kalabasa until smooth.
- In a large pot, add butter. Sautè onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add pureed kalabasa and coconut milk.
- Stir kalabasa and coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Top with cilantro and serve with your favourite bread.