Jollibee Chicken Joy is one of my favourite soul foods. It's crispy on the outside, and super juicy on the inside.
When my boyfriend and I were in the Philippines he tried the Chicken Joy from Jollibee and loved it, so I thought I would make my very own version.
As you may know, Jollibee is a very famous Filipino food chain specializing in classic Filipino fare such as Spaghetti, Fried Chicken and Burgers. My copycat homemade version Jollibee Chicken Joy is seasoned and fried just right for crispiness and taste.
why you'll love this recipe
- it is very easy to make and assemble.
- very simple ingredients.
- crispy and juicy chicken joy.
- you can use different types of chicken such as thighs or wings.
- better than take out!
- Chicken: we are using drumsticks for this recipe. Feel free to use bone in thighs or chicken wings.
- Flour: this recipe uses All Purpose Flour.
- Cornstarch: cornstarch is often used in Asian fried chicken recipes. It's a must for extra crispy result.
- Garlic Powder and Five Spice Powder: must haves! You can find Five Spice Powder at asian store.
- Milk: regular milk works fine for this recipe. I am using 2% milk.
- Egg: 1 large egg, this serves as the binder.
- Salt and Black Pepper: to marinade chicken.
- Oil: Vegetable oil or Canola oil works fine. For deep-frying chicken joy.
Step 1. Season chicken with salt and black pepper to taste. Let it sit for 2-3 hours to marinate.
Step 2. To make the Flour mixture. In a bowl mix flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, five spice powder and salt. Stir until well combined. In a separate bowl, combine egg and milk.
Step 3. To assemble the chicken. Toss chicken to flour mixture until well coated. Transfer and dip chicken to egg mixture then back to flour mixture.
Step 4. Fry Chicken. In over medium heat deep pan or pot. Add 4 cups of oil. Deep fry chicken for 15 minutes turning each piece halfway, until chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
Step 5. Remove from the oil and drain excess oil. Let them rest for 10 minutes before serving.
How long does Chicken Joy take to fry?
Frying chicken takes 7-8 minutes per side. About 15 minutes to cook in total. When frying make sure to drop a little bit of flour once it bubbles, then you can start frying chicken.
What type of Oil to use?
There are lots of choices when it comes to oil used for deep frying. You can use Neutral oils like vegetable, canola or peanut oil. I suggest you use vegetable oil for deep frying because it has a high smoke point and can be reused later.
More Copy Cat Jollibee Recipes?
Must Try Chicken Recipes!
- air fryer chicken drumsticks
- coconut milk chicken adobo
- baked sweet chili chicken drumsticks
- chicken adobo
Jollibee Chicken Joy
- 6 pieces drumsticks
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 4 cups oil for deep fry
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoon milk
- Season chicken with salt and black pepper to taste. Let it sit for 2-3 hours to marinate.
- To make flour mixture. In a bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, five spice powder and salt. Stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg and milk.
- In over medium heat deep pan or pot. Add 4 cups of oil.
- To assemble the chicken. Toss chicken to flour mixture until well coated.
- Transfer and dip chicken to egg mixture then back to flour mixture.
- Deep fry chicken for 15 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- Drain excess oil with strainer or paper towel. Serve and enjoy!